Founded by Charles Merrill in 1957, the Commonwealth School occupies a linked pair of five-story 1870’s townhouses and a one-story dining/assembly addition on the rear alleyway. No further addition or exterior moderation is permitted in this historic district and thus all needed improvements must be accomplished entirely within the existing building envelope.
The school is dedicated to maintaining the historic integrity of the original townhouses while planning for much-needed improvements, such as an elevator, new windows, and updated building systems. Construction will be completed in three phases starting in the summer of 2015. Phase 1 of the project completely renovated three science teaching labs, an important goal for the school.